Story by Bella Tommey
The Paleo Diet: An effort to follow a “caveman” lifestyle, encouraging you to eat whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods with the goal of nourishing your body. As students gear up for exams and the stress begins to reach peaks, comfort eating your body weight in candy sometimes seems like the only way out. Why not escape with these simple paleo-approved treats for sweet relief without the guilt?
Here are a handful of simple recipes to introduce you to clean eating, completely free from grains, dairy and refined sugars.
1. Double Chocolate Mug Cake
You’re having one of those days: You failed your midterm, fought with your best friend and are running off minimal sleep. All you want to do is sit with a warm, gooey chocolate cake and eat your feelings. Fear not, this rich double chocolate mug cake allows you to do just that.
1 large tablespoon almond flour (available at most grocery stores near campus)
1 large tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon almond milk (or non-dairy milk substitute of choice)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips (unsweetened, dairy-free)
1. Mix all ingredients in a large mug, microwave for 1-1 ½ minutes and inhale immediately. For extra divinity, top with melted nut butter or melted dark chocolate!
(This recipe is extremely versatile, feel free to add fruits, leave out cocoa powder or top with anything you fancy.)
2. Warm and Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookie
Who doesn’t love a warm cookie with an icy glass of milk? With this recipe you will be able to enjoy the cookie-munching luxury without feeling overwhelming guilt after you bite into your fourth one.
1/2 large banana
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon full-fat coconut milk (Greek yogurt will do if you aren’t dairy free.)
1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
1. Mash banana into a large mug, add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Microwave for 1 to 1 ½ minutes and then get ready to eat. Pour almond milk over the top for a more traditional treat.
3. Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin is undoubtedly the flavor of Fall. In season, enjoy this guilt-free pumpkin pie that can be prepared in two minutes.
1 tablespoon butter (or Ghee if 100% paleo)
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
1 tablespoon almond flour
1 teaspoon Stevia
½ cup of pureed pumpkin
2 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1. Melt the butter in a large mug for 20 seconds. Add the coconut, almond flour and stevia, then pat to form a makeshift “crust” for your pie.
2. In a separate container, mix the remaining ingredients and pour the mixture over your crust.
3. Microwave your pie for two minutes and enjoy!
4. Cinnabon-Inspired Iced Bun
A Cinnabon Classic contains 890 calories, so it’s probably not something you would treat yourself to everyday. With this paleo-style, cinnamon-iced bun, you can enjoy your favorite treat for a mere 170 calories without no refined sugars.
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt, nutmeg, other spices of choice
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk substitute of choice)
2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut butter
½ teaspoon lemon juice
1. In a large mug, mix your coconut flour, cinnamon, salt and other spices, 2 tablespoons almond milk, egg and ½ tablespoons raw honey. After combining, add baking powder and mix. Microwave for two minutes.
2. Mix your remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and drizzle over your warm, cooked bun when complete. You can thank me later.
Share your paleo concoctions from this recipe guide with ORANGE’s Food + Drink Section. Just mention @orange_eats on Instagram for a chance to be featured on our account.